Here are a few tips we give each patient when they initiate their Invisalign treatment:
- Always follow the instructions that you are given by Dr. Sondhi and Dr. Biggs.
- Continue flossing every day. You should be flossing on a regular basis. It is sometimes assumed that Invisalign will protect the teeth from bacteria, which is completely false. Bacteria can live behind the aligners and affect the health of your teeth and gums, which is why it is very important to continue with regular flossing.
- Follow the 48 hour rule. When you insert a new set of aligners, leave them in as much as possible during the first 48 hours. Your teeth will move more during this time, which means this is when the aligners are most active.
- Research studies suggest tooth movement is more predictable if aligners are worn more than 22 hours a day.
- Wearing aligners may sometimes cause slight discomfort, and regular over-the-counter pain relievers help alleviate this type of discomfort.