February is National Children's Dental Health Month and many people are unaware of the imporant role early dental care plays in children's overall health. The ADA recommends that parents take early action for the health of their children's teeth because attitudes and habits established at an early age are critical in maintaining good oral health throughout their life. Each week in the month of February, Sondhi-Biggs Orthodontics will be featuring a patient-friendly appliance that may be used in our office as early as Age 7. Please check back each week to view our feature appliance.
Thursday, January 26, 2012
Thursday, January 19, 2012
Waterpik's have improved over the years. For example, most models include the interchangeable orthodontic tip. We recognize that flossing can sometimes be awkward and time consuming while in orthodontic treatment; however, it should still be part of your daily routine. Sondhi-Biggs Orthodontics recommends the Waterpik Water Flosser. If you have any questions or need any help with how to use your Waterpik, please feel free to contact our office or view our oral irrigation video on our YouTube link.
Thursday, January 12, 2012
10 Myths About Braces
- Braces have to feel tight or hurt to work- No pain no gain, right? Well, not exactly. In the old days there were only stiff wires available. Now with the change in technology, we are able to place very flexible wires and the pressure you would have felt before is non-existent.
- The tighter the better- A common statement we hear is "Make it tighter so they can come off sooner." While a certain level of force is necessary to move the teeth, too much pressure can actually damage the teeth.
- Wires need to be changed at every visit- Some of the wires currently used can be bent into different shapes and still spring back into the U-shape they were when they were placed.
- Only braces can straighten my teeth- Not necessarily. As times change so do the methods of treatment. You could be a candidate for Aligner treatment and never have to wear any type of braces.
- My spaces will start closing as soon as I get braces on- Many people who start treatment with significant spaces between their teeth, have the unrealistic hope that the spaces will disappear right after they start treatment. After the teeth are straight that the spaces between them can be closed.
- Once I get my braces off, my teeth will stay straight forever- Getting your teeth straight and your bite to fit together is just half the battle. After your braces are removed, your teeth will want to move back to their original position, this is why retainers are so important.
- My wisdom teeth are making my teeth crooked- You may think wisdom teeth may cause crowding. However, there is very little proof that wisdom teeth are able to cause any type of crowding.
- Any overbite is bad- Many patients think that having a mild overbite is a bad thing, which is incorrect. Actually, people with no overbite have a problem with wearing down of their front teeth because their teeth actually contact each other.
- The date for the removal of my braces is set in stone- Patients are only given an estimated treatment time prior to treatment as a guideline. A delay in treatment can be caused by many different things such as: broken brackets, delay between appointments, and not brushing properly, etc.
- You need to have a referral from a dentist to see an Orthodontist- There is no need to have a referral from a dentist to be seen by an Sondhi-Biggs Orthodontics. The AAO suggests that the appropriate age to first be seen by an Orthodontist is age 7.
If you have any questions or would like any more information about any of these "Myth's" please feel free to get in touch with us.
Friday, January 6, 2012
Sondhi-Biggs Orthodontics is excited to announce that on Saturday, April 21, 2012 we will have a team participating in the the annual Susan G. Komen "Race for the Cure". The support shown for the Central Indiana "Race for the Cure" is the largest single day fundraiser, as well as one of the largest races of all Indianapolis area affiliates. Please feel free to join our team in support of this wonderful cause. If you would like to be a part of the Sondhi-Biggs Orthodontics 2012 "Race for the Cure" team, please feel free to click within this blog title and follow the directions within that link. Our team name is "Sondhi-Biggs Orthodontics".